Skip to Main Content

Policy Title: Institutional Messaging

Boise State University #8100
Effective Date: July 1, 1995
Revised: September 1, 2009

To provide mass media communications to Boise State students and employees in a controlled and responsible manner.


  • I. Emergency Notification System
    An emergency notification system that automates messages across various medium to communicate emergency and urgent messages to faculty, staff and students will be utilized under the direction of the Executive Director of Campus Security and Police Services. Urgent or emergency information will be delivered by voice message, text messaging and/or other means as determined by the Executive Director of Campus Security and Police Services.
    The Director of Marketing and Communications will also maintain an off-campus voice message system. University employees and the public may dial 334-2296 to hear a message on the current status of the university in the event of a disaster or other emergency.
  • II. “ Must Know” Information
    “Must know” information (e.g. “Due to bad weather the University will close at…”) will be delivered by mass voice mail, email or other means from the President, Provost, Vice Presidents, Director of Marketing and Communications, or the Director of Campus Security and Police Services.
  • III. “Should Know” Information
    “Should Know” information (e.g. “Employee benefits open enrollment will close on …”) will be delivered by mass e-mail or other electronic communications originating from or as authorized by the President, Provost, or Vice Presidents.
    Supervisors of staff without university e-mail access are responsible for notifying their staff of the content of the message.
  • IV. “Want to Know?” Information
    “Want to Know?” information (e.g. “Student government elections will be held tomorrow at…” or “Tonight’s basketball game will…”) will be delivered on web pages or similar software dispersed throughout the University web presence. Anyone at the university may request information to be posted through the Office of Communications and Marketing, or may post to department or division web pages in accordance with general university standards and department/division protocols.
  • V. Student Information
    Information intended specifically for students should go through the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA). The VPSA routinely sends electronic communication to students and will coordinate all messages to students that are not class related.