Boise State University Policy #7270
Effective Date: July 1, 1989
Revised: July 1, 1995
April 27, 2005
August 2, 2011
To establish a procedure for granting rank to administrative personnel.
Boise State University Administrative Personnel.
Human Resource Services (HRS), 426-1616
- I. Establishment of Rank for Administrative Personnel
- In order for an individual, either seeking or holding an administrative position, to qualify for academic rank, the following stipulations must be met:
- A. Teaching experience in higher education with accompanying evidence showing demonstrated success.
- B. Appropriate educational background qualifying the individual to teach in the given discipline or professional field. In general, the individual should be in possession of the terminal degree or be pursuing work toward it with the minimum of a master’s degree and/or equivalent in the appropriate discipline or field.
- C. Before an individual can be considered for rank, s/he must meet the same requirements for academic rank that are applied for academic faculty teaching on a full-time basis. All such determinations shall be made in consultation with the academic department in which the rank is awarded.
- D. If an individual has the appropriate educational background (i.e., degree requirement) for rank consideration but has no teaching experience in higher education, satisfactory proficiency in teaching must be demonstrated at Boise State University before the person would qualify for a particular rank.
- II. Rank Promotion for Administrative Personnel
- Recommendations related to administrative personnel for rank promotion must be processed through the same institutional channels utilized for academic faculty. This means, for example, that if an administrator holds the rank of Assistant Professor of Psychology, the letter of recommendation and supporting documentation would be submitted by the Psychological Science Department for consideration and subsequent action. From this point on, the procedure followed shall be identical for that which is utilized for academic faculty.