Boise State University Policy #7120
Effective Date: July 1, 1979
Rev: July 1, 1995
July 1, 1998
Procedures for employment of non-classified employees using an Employment Action Form.
- I. General Information
- A. The Boise State University Employment Action form (EAF) and the Boise State University Letter of Appointment are the official forms for departments to use to initiate payroll actions for exempt personnel. The procedures for use of the Letter of Appointment are found in Boise State University Policy 4220.
- Classified Personnel: Payroll actions for classified personnel will be initiated by the Human Resources Department on a special Payroll and Personnel Change form used for classified employees.
- Exempt Personnel: All personnel who are not classified employees or student employees are considered to be exempt personnel. This includes faculty and administrative and professional staff. The EAF should be used for graduate assistants, even though they are student employees.
- The procedures in this policy apply to the preparation of payroll actions for exempt personnel as defined above.
- B. In addition to notifying the Payroll Office and Human Resources Department of payroll actions, the EAF is used for the following purposes:
- 1. Authorization to prepare employment contract for full-time and permanent part-time personnel.
- 2. Authorization to prepare State EIS personnel forms for approval by the State Budget Division and the State Auditor’s Office.
- 3. Preparation of personnel actions for approval by the State Board of Education.
- C. State Budget Division Approval: The State Budget Division must approve all employee appointments and payroll actions prior to the effective date of change. Personnel changes are not official until this approval has been received from the Budget Division on the EIS form submitted by the Boise State University Human Resources Department. Salary payments will not be made until the above approval has been received. Employment Action Forms should be prepared far enough in advance to allow time for proper authorization by Boise State University officials and preparation of the EIS forms prior to the effective date of change. This could be from one to two weeks, depending upon circumstances.
- D. New Positions: Before an EAF is prepared for a new full-time or permanent part-time position, the position must have advance approval. Appointments of personnel to new positions cannot be processed until the position has been approved by the State Board of Education and the Division of Financial Management.
- E. Supply of Forms: Employment Action forms will be kept in the Boise State University Print Shop. Orders should be sent to the Print Shop, who will charge them out to the departments.
- II. Appointment Approval
- The Employee Action form is to be signed by the department head or project director. This person is responsible for obtaining the approval of the Affirmative Action Officer for appointment of full-time and permanent part-time personnel. If there is a question whether the payroll action needs this approval, the Affirmative Action Office should be contacted. For those payroll actions which do not require the signature of the Affirmative Action Officer, the department head should indicate “N/A” in the Affirmative Action section.
- The dean or administrative officer, if applicable, should sign on the proper line. The form should then be forwarded to the vice president (or President) responsible for the area. The vice president (or President) should review the form to be sure that the payroll action is in conformance with Boise State University policies. It is the responsibility of the respective vice president to bring to the attention of the President any payroll actions which the vice president feels may result in questions from the State Board of Education. Once approved by the appropriate vice president, the EAF should be forwarded to the Provost’s Office. The Provost’s Office will transmit the form to the Budget Office for review and distribution to the Human Resources and Payroll Offices and departments.