Boise State University Policy #1040
Effective Date: January 1991
Revised: July 1995; October 2007
To establish University policy for the processing of requests to examine or copy
Idaho Code §9-337 – Idaho Code §9-348
Applies to all university records.
Office of the President, 426-1491
- I. Policy Statement
Boise State University is a public institution and must abide by laws that regulate the transparency of public documents. This policy was established to ensure that the university conforms to these laws and State Board regulations.
- II. Custodian of Records
The Director of Communications and Marketing is the designated Custodian of Records for the purpose of Idaho’s Open Records Law. In the event that the Director of Communications and Marketing is absent from his or her office for more than three consecutive regular working days, the Vice President for Finance and Administration may designate a temporary Custodian of Records.
- III. General Subject Matter of Records
To the extent mandated by law, the following types of records are to be made available to the public for inspection and copy: budget, audit, and other fiscal information; enrollment data; proposals for academic and vocational programs; business records; accounting and budget records; personnel records; computer programs; payroll records; contracts; and numerous other records customarily received, created and maintained by the University.
- IV. Procedure
- A. Request for Information or Records: Requests for information or records must be made to the University’s Custodian of Records. The Custodian of Records will note the date and time that he or she receives the request. The request will either be approved or denied within three regular business days of being received by the Custodian of Records. The time period may be extended to ten days if longer time is needed to respond to the request. Each request to inspect and copy public records must be examined in light of applicable federal and state statutes as well as the rules and regulation of the University and the Idaho State Board of Education.
- B. Copying Fees: The University will charge $0.05 per page for copying written records and will charge the actual cost of copying records other than written records. Payment must be made at the time of receiving the copies.
- C. Examination Fees: No charge will be made for examination of records during normal university office hours. However, if a requestor seeks to examine public records outside of normal office hours then the actual compensation of the Custodian of Public Records, or his or her designee, must be paid by the requestor at the time of the examination, in addition to any incurred copying costs.
- D. Denial of Examination and Copy: The Custodian of Public Records for the University (or the Custodian’s designee), and where appropriate after consultation with legal counsel for the University, will determine whether a record requested in accordance with this policy is exempt from disclosure under applicable federal and state statutes. If a denial or partial denial of a request for examination is made, the denial must include the rationale for the decision, the appeal rights of the requestor, and notification concerning attorney review of the request or lack thereof.
- E. Removal of Records during Examination: Records are not to be removed from the place designated for the inspection unless the Custodian of Records specifically agrees otherwise.