Boise State University Policy #: 9000
Effective Date: April 1, 1994
Revised: March 2004; January 2008
To establish University policy for coordination and decision making in the
allocation of university-owned space.
Applies to all decision making in the allocation of university-owned space.
Executive Director of Facilities Administration, 426-1409
- I. Policy Statement
All changes in the assignment of university-owned or controlled space will be coordinated with potential users and approved by the President and Vice Presidents.
- II. Responsibility
The Executive Director of Facilities Administration is assigned responsibility for implementation and enforcement of this policy— specifically, to ensure the coordination and appropriate notification of users of university property whenever the President and Vice Presidents, acting as a space utilization committee, approve a change or modification of building, room, or area.
- III. Procedure
- A. Requests for Changes: Requests for changes in the assignment of space, modification of rooms, offices, or work areas will be submitted to the Executive Director of Facilities Administration.
- B. Response to Requests: The Executive Director of Facilities Administration will respond by one or more of the following courses of action as appropriate:
- 1. Insure compatibility of the proposal with existing plans and projected University needs;
- 2. Enforce time constraints to ensure adequate lead-time in the reassignment of spaces and functions and especially in connection with changes that have an impact on the scheduling of academic classes;
- 3. Contact individuals having an interest in the utilization of the space in question, for example, Department Head(s), Dean(s), University Architect, Director of Facilities Operations and Maintenance, Registrar, and so forth;
- 4. Call coordination meetings as necessary to resolve conflicting points of view or space needs;
- 5. Obtain cost and impact estimates and determine feasibility of proposed changes;
- 6. Prepare assignment proposals for final decision by the President and Vice Presidents; or
- 7. Notify appropriate individuals and units of the official assignment changes.
- IV. Examples
Listed are examples of changes that are subject to this policy and that must be coordinated through the Executive Director of Facilities Administration:
- 1. Office assignments for faculty and professional staff.
- 2. Multipurpose classroom changes:
- a) Any change from multipurpose to special purpose use of any limitation or scheduling;
- b) Any change of special or limited use rooms to multipurpose use;
- c) Any change to create additional office space from classrooms;
- d) Any changes in partitions or installation of special equipment that could affect the use of the classroom, and so forth; and
- e) Any changes in room numbering within buildings.
- 3. Laboratory or special rooms, particularly any change in function or equipment that could impact use by others.
- 4. Special needs for storage of equipment, reception, conference, lounge, student organizations (other than in the Student Union or other student-body controlled areas), and unique situations, such as the assignment of space to part-time employees or off-campus organizations.