Boise State University Policy #12070
Effective Date: September 2014
To ensure that reports of suspected missing students are filed and investigated.
Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008
20 U.S.C. § 1092(j); 34 CFR 668.46(h)
Applies to all employees, students and visitors.
Campus Security and Police Services, 426-6911
Dean of Students, 426-1527
SMS (Suspected Missing Student) – A student who has been missing for less than 24 hours.
- I. Policy Statement
- This policy establishes a framework for cooperation among members of the University community aimed at locating and assisting students who are reported missing.
- II. Filing an SMS Report
- Anyone who suspects that a student is missing shall immediately inform Campus Security and Police Services at 208-426-6911 who will forward the report to Housing and Residence Life if the student lives on campus.
- III. Who Will Investigate an SMS Report
- Campus Security and Police Services will investigate each SMS report and if they determine the student is missing they will notify local law enforcement within 24 hours of the determination.
Campus Security and Police Services does not have to wait a full twenty-four (24) hours after receiving an SMS report to notify local law enforcement.
- IV. Missing Student Contact Information and Procedures
- A. Students who live in on-campus student housing, regardless of age, may register one or more individuals to be notified in the event that the student is reported missing.
- B. The university will keep missing student contact information confidential, accessible only to authorized campus officials, and only disclose it to law enforcement personnel in the event that the student is believed to be missing.
- C. The University will notify the student’s missing person contact(s) within 24 hours of an SMS report being filed, unless the student is located within that 24 hour period. If a missing student is under 18 years of age, the University will also notify the parent or guardian of the missing student.
- D. The Vice President for Student Affairs or his or her designee shall initiate whatever action he or she deems appropriate in the best interest of the SMS. This may include notifying the student’s instructors.
- V. Communications Concerning Missing Students
- A. The Associate Vice-President for Communications and Marketing will be the designated spokesperson to handle media inquiries concerning a missing student.
- B. The Associate Vice-President for Communications and Marketing will consult with the Vice-President of Student Affairs or his or her designee; the Director of Campus Security and Police Services; the Vice-President for Campus Operations and General Counsel, or the local law enforcement agency responsible for the investigation prior to any information release from the university, so as not to jeopardize the investigation.
- C. Information provided to the media to elicit public assistance in the search for the missing student will be handled by the local law enforcement agency.
- The University will notify students about this policy through the Annual Security Report.