Boise State University Policy #3060
Effective Date: July 1983
Revised: January 1994; May 14, 2010; November 2010; March 3, 2014
To outline department authority to establish practicum/internships and student enrollment requirements.
Applies to all student practicums/internships
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, 426-1202
- Policy Statement
Boise State University’s urban location provides students with numerous opportunities for practical education. Opportunities exist in large international companies, small start-up businesses, state and federal agencies and non-profit organizations. Such education contributes to students’ overall academic development.
- Departmental Guidelines
All Boise State departments may offer internships pursuant to the following:
- Individual internships must receive approval by the academic department whose course prefix is being used.
- Department internship coordinators shall provide students with written documentation outlining internship expectations.
- To assess progress and ensure a quality internship experience, the department internship coordinator will facilitate ongoing communication with the student during the internship.
- The internship program will be evaluated by individual departments.
- Academic departments may have specific requirements for students who seek to register for an internship.
- Department internship coordinators will be required to use the online internship database to approve and decline internships.
- Student Guidelines
- Pursuant to the federal Fair Labor Standards Act, students are not allowed to perform an internship or practicum solely as an unpaid worker or volunteer and as such the student must register for credit concurrent with the performance of the internship or practicum.
- Students must apply for internships. To be an eligible applicant, students must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA for 293 and 493 internships; and
- Upper-division standing, or approval of the Chair of the department, department internship coordinator, and the Dean or Associate Dean of the college in which the internship is being offered for 493 internships; or
- A minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA and graduate standing for 590 internships.
- Students must complete and submit the “Internship Application for Academic Credit” at the Career Center’s website at career.boisestate.edu.
- Students must receive approval for their internship by the academic department’s internship coordinator whose course prefix is being used.
- Students participating in internships must complete the on-line internship workshop found on the Career Center website. Students need only to complete this workshop during their first internship for academic credit. This workshop must be completed within two weeks of the academic deadline for adding an internship for that term.
- Internships must be completed during the term in which the student is receiving academic credit.
- Students must meet with their department internship coordinator, who will evaluate the student’s work to ensure it meets department guidelines and determine how many credits the internship should be assigned. Students earn one credit for each 45 hours of work.
- Maximum Credit Allowed
- Undergraduate: No more than twelve (12) credits earned in internships (293 and 493) may be used to meet university graduation requirements.
- Graduate: The Graduate Council establishes limits on the number of credits awarded for internship experience at the graduate level (590). Each department can establish their own credit limits for meeting departmental graduation requirements.