Skip to Main Content

Policy Title: Changes in Final Grades

Boise State University Policy #3180
Effective Date: July 1, 1979
Revised: July 1, 1995; November 2001; March 3, 2014

To describe the conditions under which final grades may be changed and the procedure by which such changes are implemented.

Responsible Party:
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, 426-1212
Registrar’s Office, 426-4249


  1. Policy Statement
    Once the grade due date has passed for the semester, grades are considered final. All grade changes after this date must be submitted by the instructor of record.
  2. Changes in Final Grades
    1. Students may initiate a request to change a final grade with the individual instructor of record. The student has a right to appeal to the appropriate body if a change of grade request is denied.
    2. The instructor of record may change a letter grade by completing a Grade Change or Removal of Incomplete card. Required approval signatures on the card include the official instructor of record and the Department Chair of the department offering the course.
  3. Changes in Incomplete Grades
    1. The grade of Incomplete (I) may be given in cases where the student’s work has been satisfactory up to the last three (3) weeks of the semester.
    2. Students have one year to complete the work or the grade is automatically changed to an “F.”
    3. Students may not remove an incomplete by re-enrolling in the course.
    4. A grade of “I” can be changed to a “W” only with the approval of the University Appeals Committee.
    5. Grades of Incomplete (I) awarded prior to Fall 2005 for undergraduate courses and prior to Fall 2007 for graduate courses will not automatically change to a grade of “F” after one year.
  4. Contesting a Final Grade
    If a student receives a grade he or she believes to be inaccurately reported or unjust in a given course at Boise State University, the student has the right to contest the grade. The procedure is outlined in policy University Policy #3130.