Boise State University Policy #3160
Effective Date: September, 1995
Revised: July 1, 1996; November 2001; March 3, 2014
To establish policy to allow students to exclude grades from GPA calculation.
Applies to all Boise State students.
Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs, 426-1212
Registrar’s Office, 426-4249
It is occasionally important for students to be able to exclude some of their course grades from the overall calculation of their GPA. Such exclusions are permitted pursuant to this policy.
Students may petition to exclude from GPA calculation grades earned at BSU or another institution in up to two semesters in which the GPA is less than 2.0 if the following criteria are met:
- Student has not been enrolled at any regionally accredited institution of higher education for at least five years or at least eight years must have elapsed since the grades were received.
- After being readmitted and/or before applying for grade exclusion, the student must complete twelve credits at Boise State University with a GPA of 2.50 or higher, or twenty four credits with a GPA of 2.25 or higher.
- The student cannot have received any form of grade exclusion at Boise State previously.
- The student cannot exclude any grades received prior to receiving a post secondary degree or certificate. (Exception: If the student has courses that were ineligible for use toward a particular post secondary degree or certificate, grades earned in those courses may be excluded if other criteria listed above are met.
- All grades and credits within the semester requested for exclusion are excluded. Students cannot choose to have individual grades within a semester excluded.
- All grades and credits, even in an excluded semester remain on the transcript as official grades, but the excluded grades and credits will not count toward graduation or be calculated in the cumulative GPA.
- If a student is requesting grade exclusion for two semesters, he or she must request consideration for both semesters at the same time.
- Exception: All grades and credits, including those grades and credits excluded, will be used to calculate eligibility for graduation honors.
- The student must obtain a GPA Exclusion Request form from the Registrar’s Office and complete it. The Registrar’s Office will verify the student has met the criteria outlined above.
- If the student has met the criteria, the courses excluded from GPA calculation will be noted on the transcript as Grade Exclusion.