Boise State University Policy #4500
Effective Date: July 1, 1982
Rev: July 1, 1995
April 27, 2005
Purpose: To establish a procedure for search and selection of department chairs, division managers or unit heads.
- I. Principles for Search and Selection
- A. All official faculty in a department, division or unit will serve on a committee of the whole to conduct the search for and selection of a department chair, division manager or unit head. This committee may choose to elect a subcommittee to screen applicants for the position.
- B. committee chair and the subcommittee, if a subcommittee is established, will be elected by the committee of the whole. The outgoing department chair, division manager or unit head and departmental applicants for the position may not participate in the screening and selection of candidates, but may participate and vote in the selection and ranking of the final three candidates. This policy does not apply to temporary acting or interim chairs or unit heads. Such individuals may participate in all phases of the selection process.
- C. Each department, division or unit may involve representation of the community in the search and selection process when appropriate to the department’s goals and programs.
- II. Procedures for Search and Selection
- A. The committee or subcommittee, in consultation with appropriate administrators, will prepare a job description and establish a schedule for application deadline and selection procedures. The committee or subcommittee will then advertise, in cooperation with the Affirmative Action Office, the vacant chair position with proper regard to affirmative action requirements.
- B. After the established deadline has passed, the committee or a subcommittee will review the materials assembled on each candidate and select the final list of candidates for the position.
- C. The committee or a subcommittee shall make available to all committee members the materials assembled on each candidate and, if possible, arrange on-campus interviews.
- D. The committee of the whole will then select and rank the top three (3) candidates, all of whom must be acceptable to at least half of the official faculty in the department, division or unit.
- E. The chair of the search and selection committee will present the dean and the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs with a ranked list of three (3) candidates.
- III. Special Circumstances
- A. If a department chair, division manager or unit head resigns and no new replacement position is to be funded, the principles and procedures of Sections I and II will be utilized for an internal selection of the department chair, division manager or unit head.
- B. Utilizing the principles and procedures of Sections I and II, the official faculty in a department may choose to establish a limited term for the department chair, division manager or unit head, with the understanding that the current chair, division manager or unit head would be eligible for additional terms of office.
- C. If a department, division or unit has special circumstances, alternative procedures to this document must be submitted to the Faculty Senate for approval. Alternative procedures must incorporate the philosophy of faculty responsibility in the selection process.
- IV. Search for and Selection of Acting Department Chairs, Division Managers or Unit Heads
- A. When, because of an urgent need, it is necessary to appoint an acting department chair, division manager, or unit head, the dean may appoint, with the advice and consent of at least half of the department’s, division’s, or unit’s official faculty, the acting department chair, division manager or unit head for a term of not more than one year.