Boise State University Policy #4040
Effective Date: July 1, 1978
Rev: July 1, 1995
Purpose: To provide the procedure by which new or expanded programs are developed and approved.
- The State Board of Education requires a two-step process: (1) the preparation and submission of a notice of intent (abstract) and (2) the preparation and submission of a detailed proposal for each new or expanded program. New or expanded programs are defined as any curricular offering leading to a certificate, minor without major, major, or degree not previously offered by the institution.
- The following details the areas of analysis which must be included:
- 1. Program description abstract, with attention being directed to need and justification.
- 2. Relationship to the role and mission upon the institution’s administrative structure and potential involvement of other divisions.
- 3. Effect of the proposed program upon the institution’s administrative structure and potential involvement of other divisions.
- 4. A description of similar programs offered in Idaho, the Pacific Northwest and states bordering Idaho.
- 5. Names of accrediting agencies and societies which would deal with particular issues.
- 6. Outline of proposed curriculum courses and credit hours by semester.
- 7. New courses needed to be added to the curriculum.
- 8. Existing courses presently included in curriculums which will apply to the proposed program.
- 9. Plans for expansion of the curriculum during the first three years.
- 10. Enrollment sources, expected enrollment and future trends.
- 11. Budget detail information and anticipated revenues.