Boise State University Policy #4380
Effective Date: January 1987
Revised: July 1995;
To establish policy and procedures for review of tenured faculty members at intervals not to exceed five years
Idaho State Board Governing Policies and Procedures Section II.G.
University Policy #4370 Faculty Tenure Procedures
Applies to University faculty
Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, 426-1202
- I. Policy Statement
- The State Board of Education requires that, at intervals not to exceed five years following the award of tenure, the performance of each tenured faculty member be reviewed by the faculty members of his or her department or equivalent unit, and the department chairperson or unit head. The faculty member’s performance is reviewed as to its continuing effectiveness in teaching, research or creative activities, professionally-related service, other assigned responsibilities, and overall contributions to the department.
- II. PROCEDURES:
- A. Notification
- 1. Each year the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs notifies departmental administrators (the dean in the case of a college that is not departmentalized), in writing, as to the members of their units whose performance is to be reviewed during the year and as to the dates by which review procedures are to be completed. Each administrator communicates the names to the unit’s faculty members and asks them to indicate whether they question the performance of any member who is under review.
- 2. Exception for Associate Professors in the Promotion Process – Generally, the promotion from the rank of associate professor to full professor is considered no earlier than the fifth full year after attaining the rank of associate professor, which is generally contemporaneous with the granting of tenure. In such cases, if review for promotion to full professor is scheduled during the fifth, sixth, or seventh full year after the award of tenure, then the promotion review may if it meets substantially similar criteria and goals of the post tenure review, take the place of the periodic performance review described here.
- B. Review Standards
- 1. If during the periodic review, the performance of a tenured faculty member is questioned in writing by a majority of tenure-track and tenured members, or if the appropriate dean, the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, or the President questions the faculty member’s performance, then the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost must decide whether a full and complete review must be conducted in accordance with the procedures established for the initial evaluation for tenure at the institution, detailed in University Policy 4340.
- 2. If during the periodic review, the performance of a tenured faculty member is not questioned in writing, members of the department or unit and the department chairperson or unit head must prepare a written review statement that the performance review has been conducted and that a full and complete review is not required. The unit administrator completes Form One provided by the Provost’s Office.
- 3. If the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost has determined that further review of a faculty member’s performance is required, that review must be conducted in accordance with the procedures established for the initial evaluation for tenure at the University, detailed in University Policy 4340. If following a full and complete review, a tenured faculty members’ performance is deemed to have been unsatisfactory with a less than adequate performance rating, this shall constitute adequate cause for action, up to and including dismissal.
- A. Notification