Boise State University Policy #4460
Effective Date: July 1, 1978
Revised: July 1, 1995
To establish guidelines for the identification and notification of nonreturning faculty members.
Idaho State Board of Education Policy II. G (Non-renewal of non-tenured faculty members)
Applies to all tenure-eligible and lecturer faculty.
Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, 426-1202
Tenure-Eligible Faculty – A faculty position assigned to an academic department or the university library wherein the incumbent holds academic rank and is eligible for tenure or is tenured.
- I. Policy Statement
- This policy establishes a framework for Tenure-Eligible and lecturer faculty to receive notice of nonreappointment and to give notice of future resignation or retirement.
- II. It is essential that faculty not returning for any reason be identified and that evidence of such be documented through appropriate correspondence.
- III. Notice of nonreappointment or termination of pre-tenure or lecturer faculty members must be given in writing in letter form and in accordance with the following standards:
- A. Nonrenewal–First Year of Service. Not later than March 1 of the first full academic year of service if the appointment is not to be renewed at the end of the academic year; or if a one-year appointment terminates during an academic year and is not to be renewed, at least three (3) months in advance of its termination.
- B. Nonrenewal–Second Year of Service. Not later than December 15 of the second full academic year of service if the appointment is not to be renewed at the end of that year; or, if the appointment terminates during an academic year and is not to be renewed, at least six (6) months in advance of its termination.
- C. Nonrenewal–Three or More Years of Service. At least twelve (12) months before the expiration of an appointment after two (2) or more full academic years in the institution.
- IV. Any Tenure Eligible or lecturer faculty member who intends to resign must submit a letter of resignation to the department chair or head of the unit. Once the letter of resignation has been received, the department or unit will complete the Employment Action Form, attach a copy of the letter of resignation and route these through established personnel channels.
- V. Tenure Eligible Faculty who qualify for retirement must state their intentions to retire in writing and submit the retirement letter to the department chair or head unit. Once this action has taken place, the Employment Action Form will be completed by the concerned department or unit, a copy of the retirement letter attached, and route through established personnel channels.
- VI. Regardless of the nature of the circumstances concerning the nonreturning of faculty, it is essential that a copy of the appropriate correspondence be attached to the Employment Action Form before routing through the proper channels.