Boise State University Policy #4310
Effective Date: July 1, 1984
Revised: July 1, 1995;
September 1, 2009;
To outline the composition and duties of the Faculty Promotion and Tenure Committee.
Idaho State Board of Education, Section II. G.
University Policy #4340 Faculty Tenure and Promotion Guidelines
Applies to all Faculty Promotion and Tenure Committees at the University.
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, 426-1202
- I. Duties
- The Faculty Promotion and Tenure Committee is empowered to:
- A. Make recommendations on the awarding to tenure. Such recommendations are forwarded to the appropriate body(ies) as specified by Boise State University policies.
- B. Evaluate tenured faculty when requested.
- C. Make recommendations on promotion in rank of faculty and forward such recommendations to the appropriate individuals as specified in Boise State University policy.
- II. Composition
- A. Each college or recognized division shall have a Promotion and Tenure Committee.
- B. The Committee must include tenured faculty. It may also include non-tenured faculty; student representation; and one (1) or more representatives from outside the candidate’s department. Divergence from this composition must be approved by the Faculty Senate.
- C. The Committee shall be appointed by the dean or other appropriate administrator no later than October 15 from a list of faculty candidates elected by the departments/divisions in the college and if participating one student picked by the appropriate student government officer from a list compiled by the dean of the college from the names submitted by the department chairpersons/division managers.
- D. At least one third of the committee shall serve for a period of two (2) consecutive years, to maintain a sense of continuity within the Committee.