Boise State University Policy #4041
Effective Date: May 14, 2010
To establish a policy for the purpose of standardizing procedures and criteria for the creation of academic administrative units known as “schools.”
State Board of Education Policy III.G
Administration, Faculty, Staff
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, 426-1202
- I. Policy Statement
- It is the policy of Boise State University to allow the establishment of schools subject to the requirements and procedures that follow.
- II. Criteria for Consideration to Become a School
- A. A School will be formed only when it creates an administrative structure that can accomplish functions and activities that cannot be accomplished by already existing structure(s).
- B. The School will be consistent with the role and mission statement and with the strategic plan of the University.
- C. The School will be consistent with the role and mission statement and with the strategic plan of the College(s) to which it is attached.
- D. The School will house multiple closely-related degree programs and faculty but not be as diverse in its programming as a College.
- E. The School will include at least one graduate degree program.
- F. The School will be fiscally sustainable.
- G. The School will increase visibility of the unit so as to enhance the potential to attract a diverse student population, to increase the amount of external donations, and to facilitate a greater focus on the research mission of the unit.
- III. Procedure for Establishing a School
- A. After detailed review and consultation with appropriate faculty and administrators, the unit(s), department(s), or program(s) will prepare a State Board of Education Notice of Intent (NOI) to create the proposed School.
- B. Following approval of the NOI by the appropriate Dean(s) and Department Chair(s), the NOI and a detailed description of the administrative structure will be submitted to the Deans’ Council for review and comment.
- C. Upon completion of its review, the Deans’ Council will make a formal recommendation to the Provost and Vice-President for Academic Affairs regarding the establishment of the School.
- D. If the Deans’ Council recommends approval, and the Provost and Vice-President for Academic Affairs agrees, the NOI will be forwarded to the President for consideration.
- E. Following approval by the President, the NOI will be submitted to the State Board of Education for its consideration.
- IV. Administrative Structure of a School
- A. The School will be administratively part of a College or Colleges and subject to the policies and procedures that apply to the College(s).
- B. A School will be led by a Director or Associate Dean who occupies a 12-month, permanent position; the Director (Associate Dean) reports to the Dean(s) of the College(s) to which it is attached.
- C. A School may house one or more research centers, and/or may participate in and/or house one or more research institutes.