*This policy is under review and has been suspended until further notice.
Boise State University Policy #4210
Effective Date: July 1, 1978
Rev: July 1, 1995; March 20, 2003
Purpose: To provide the procedure for employing tenured and tenure-track faculty.
- I. The Employment Action Form will be used as the authorization document from which contracts will be generated.
- II. The specific procedures to follow in the employment of tenured and tenure-track faculty are listed below:
- A. Once the recruitment process (coordinated with the Affirmative Action Office) has been completed at the departmental level, the Employment Action Form will be initiated by the appropriate department chair/division manager. It is essential that all pertinent facets of the form be completed and that the department chair/division manager signs the form prior to forwarding the document to the dean.
- B. The department chair/division manager must attach to the Employment Action Form the following data prior to forwarding the form to the dean:
- 1. University and college transcripts
- 2. Placement files or letters of recommendation and resume
- 3. Affirmative Action Unit Position Vacancy form
- 4. Summary of phone conversations with the prospective employee’s supervisors.
- C. The department chair/division manager and dean will indicate approval of the departmental recommendation by signing the Employment Action Form. If the dean approves the recommendation submitted by the department chair/division manager, it is necessary that a check be made to determine that the resume’, transcripts, placement files and unit position vacancy folder are attached to the Employment Action Form.
- D. Once the recommendation is approved by the administration at the college level, the form with attachments will be forwarded to the Affirmative Action Office. The Affirmative Action Officer will submit the personnel file and Employment Action Form to the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs for approval.
- E. After approval by the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs has been given, a contract will be made and mailed to the prospective faculty member.
- The employment contract must include the period of appointment, salary, pay periods, position title, employment status and other information the university may require. Nontenured faculty employees have no continued expectation of employment beyond their current contract of employment.
- Each faculty employee must acknowledge receipt and acceptance of the terms of the employment contract by signing and returning a copy to the university within a specified time limit. Failure or refusal of the faculty employee to sign and return a copy of the employment contract within the time specified in the contract is deemed to be a rejection of the offer of employment unless the parties have mutually agreed in writing to extend the time. The university may extend another offer to the employee in the event the initial offer was not signed and returned in a timely manner.
- Any alteration by the employee of the offer is deemed a counter-offer requiring an affirmative act of acceptance by the Dean and the Provost.
- Each contract of employment must include a statement to the following effect and intent: “The terms of employment set forth in this contract of employment are also subject to the Governing Policies and Procedures of the State Board of Education, and the policies and procedures of Boise State University.”
- F. Once the prospective faculty member has signed and returned the contract to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, copies of the contract will be distributed to the dean and Human Resources.
- G. The name of the new faculty member will be presented to the State Board of Education for final approval if required by Board Policy.
- H. All nontenured faculty employees have fixed terms of employment. No contract of employment with such an employee may exceed one (1) year without the prior approval of the State Board of Education. Reappointment of a faculty employment contract is subject solely to the discretion of the University President, and where applicable, of the Board.