Boise State University Policy #4130
Effective Date: July 1, 1978
Rev: July 1, 1995
To provide an annual procedure for officially conferring degrees and awarding certificates.
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, 426-1212
- I. Policy Statement
- Boise State University conducts general commencement ceremonies each year. They are held at the end of the spring and fall semesters. All students who have completed requirements for graduation since the previous ceremony will be invited to participate, and their names will be included in the printed program.
- II. Ceremony
- The general arrangements for the ceremony include the following:
- A. Administrative Participation: The University President will act as master of ceremonies, confer all degrees, make appropriate awards, and choose those administrators and visiting dignitaries he deems appropriate to join the stage party and participate in the ceremony.
- B. Faculty Participation: For appropriate representation of the faculty, a minimum of 33% of each department should be present at each graduation ceremony. The Chair of the Faculty Senate will be asked to be faculty marshal to lead the procession and carry the mace.
- C. Student Participation
- 1. The Registrar’s Office will provide information and directions to the graduates relating to robes, announcements, and assembly.
- 2. Students may not participate in a commencement ceremony prior to completing all graduation and degree requirements.
- III. Planning Responsibilities
- The Commencement Committee is:
- A. Co-chaired by representatives from the Provost and Registrar’s Offices;
- B. Composed of representatives from each academic college and all other areas with some responsibility for commencement; and
- C. Responsible for overall planning and coordination of all commencement activities.