Boise State University Policy #4020
Effective Date: July 1, 1978
September 10, 2012
To define the administrative responsibilities for academic advising at the university, college, and department/unit levels.
University advising program staff, deans, department chairs, and advising coordinators
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, 426-1202
Office of Advising and Academic and Academic Enhancement, 426-4049
Director of Advising and Academic Enhancement
Academic Advising Council
- I. University Advising Coordination:
- The Director of Advising and Academic Enhancement serves a coordinating role in university-level advising and is responsible for:
- A. Coordinating advising with orientation and registration activities.
- B. Communicating regularly with deans, college advising coordinators, department/unit personnel involved in advising coordination, and academic advisors.
- C. Initiating discussion with appropriate others when changes in the advising process are to be considered.
- D. Planning and directing the implementation of the assessment of the university-wide advising process and dissemination of results.
- E. Providing training and development opportunities for all academic advisors in cooperation with college advising coordinators and responsible department /unit personnel.
- F. Serving on university committees and work groups where matriculation, advising, registration and retention issues are central.
- G. Chairing the University Advising Council that ensures that all administrative entities involved in advising services and affected by advising processes have input.
- II. College Advising Coordination:
- Each college dean will designate an academic advising coordinator who is responsible for:
- A. Ensuring that academic advising services are available, as determined by the academic calendar, class registration schedule, and college, department/unit, and student need.
- B. Working in collaboration with the dean and department chairs to develop a college advising model, or policy, consistent with university advising policy.
- C. Assisting in the development of department/unit advising models and policies consistent with university and college policies.
- D. Participating in review of periodic advising assessment outcomes for the college and making recommendations for revision of college and department/unit advising model and policies to improve advising processes.
- E. Disseminating information about training and development opportunities for academic advisors at the college or university level in collaboration with the Director of Advising and Academic Enhancement.
- III. Departmental/Unit Advising Coordination:
- Each department/unit chair is responsible for:
- A. Ensuring that departmental advising services are available in the department/unit as determined by academic calendar, class registration schedule and student need.
- B. Developing a departmental advising model, or policy, in collaboration with department faculty and other personnel involved in departmental advising (e.g., departmental advising coordinators, staff, and peer advisors).
- C. Reviewing periodic advising assessment outcomes for the department/unit in collaboration with the college advising coordinator and making recommendations to the department/unit faculty for revision of its advising model and policies to improve advising processes.
- D. Disseminating information about training and development opportunities for academic advisors at the college or university level in collaboration with the Director of Advising and Academic Enhancement and college advising coordinators.